Credit Valley Club History

A challenging course and superlative facilities have combined to make Credit Valley one of the Province's finest private golf clubs. Originally the hunting and fishing grounds of the Ojibway people, Credit Valley traces its golfing beginning back to 1930.

Ontario's then Lieutenant Governor, W.D. Ross commissioned that six holes be built at the Willows, his summer residence. The original property was located where the driving range and parking lot now stand.

In the early 30's, Arthur Price, considered the father of Credit Valley, leased the facilities and opened them to the public. By the mid 40's, the course had expanded to 9 holes and the first memberships were offered.

In the early 50's, Price leased the thirteen hole facility to the membership which became a private club in the late fifties. The course was re-configured in 1969 when the valley lands were purchased and a portion of the upper lands sold.

When Arthur Price leased the Credit Valley property from the Ross estate in 1934, he hired the well known course designer, Stanley Thompson, to re-vamp the existing 6 holes and add more to make a 9 hole golf course. Robbie Robinson worked for Stanley Thompson at that time.

When the Oneida Club property was bought and the valley was to be further developed in the 70's Robbie Robinson, by that time, an internationally known course architect, was brought back to Credit Valley.

Robbie has often said that, when he first viewed the raw property, he thought that he had never seen a more perfect natural setting for a golf course. This is high praise indeed from a man who has built golf courses all over the world.

Edward Schofield
President: 1951-1953

In 1951, the members (approximately 100) decided to lease the property from Mr. Price and to apply for a charter to operate as a membership club. The charter was granted, but it was found necessary still to allow pay-as-you-play golfers. Plans were made to extend the course and for a few years it operated as a thirteen hole course with the Willows as the clubhouse. In the year 1954, five holes were constructed on the west side of the river in the valley. Thus, the course became a full eighteen holes. It was decided then that the journey of climbing the hill was too strenuous and that the first project to be considered was the building of an elevator. This was completed and operational for the summer of 1954. It was built near where we presently descend the hill after playing the fifth hole.